[bksvol-discuss] OT: Maples family update

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteer List <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 23:39:32 -0500

Dear fellow Bookshare volunteers;

I am sorry that we have been so absent for the past several months, but it has
been a true roller coaster in our house. The Reader’s Digest version is that
after an extended stay in the hospital with a few medical mishaps, Doug came
home with a tracheostomy on a ventilator. He continues to improve at home, much
more quickly than anyone anticipated, but it is a lot of nursing and it has
only been recently that he is able to talk. Unfortunately he still does not
have enough voice to run his environmental control or computer. Getting closer,
but unfortunately while he was in the hospital’s hard drive crashed and it is
not ready, anyway.

On top of that, Nichole has had two recurrences of her spinal infection and now
has a new problem spot at her tailbone. She has lost a significant amount of
weight, and we are looking for ideas from the wound nurse who has been
contacted.

Complicating matters further was the fact that Doug lost his services because
he was in the hospital over 30 days and we are still waiting to be reinstated
so we are paying for help out of pocket. Unfortunately his primary caregiver
has taken a new job and is only able to come once a week or less to give him a
bath, and the other one has canceled a lot and today came 30 minutes late with
two children, one of them sick. Needless to say, we had to ask her to leave
early. Nevermind the trauma to our service dog in training.

Welcome to our world. Wink. Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!

Valerie