[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Know the Difference between Cold and H1N1 Flu Symptoms.

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:01:46 -0700

I'd like to comment on this just a bit, if I may.

Please understand that there are several types of flu about, only 1 of
which is the H1N1. We will probably be seeing an increasing number of
Type A influenza cases in the next month or 2, thru to February or
March, & there may in fact be mixing of the h1n1 & the typical type A
virus to produce a mixed variety. time will tell. It seemed to be the
case in Australia, for example, where the flu epidemic occurs during
our summers, since it's winter in the southern hemisphere. So, flu
symptoms may not necessarily represent h1n1.

The flu can often be accompanied by secondary, opportunistic bacterial
infection, which may well result in a productive, or mucus-producing
cough. If the sputum is anything but clear, consult a physician for
antibiotic treatment.

I would advise that any1 who begins experiencing fever, chills, cough,
& chest discomfort, especially those w/chronic conditions such as
diabetes, heart disease, COPD, cancer, asthma, etc., to seek attention
from their physician *immediately*. Do not pass go. Do not collect
$200. People whose immune systems are intact, although the flu makes
'em feel like some1 shot at 'em & missed then did the other at 'em &
hit generally do ok, but those w/conditions that compromise the immune
system are in serious danger & should take all necessary precautions
to avoid becoming ill. Things every1 can do to protect themselves
include frequent handwashing, regular physical exercise, sunlight &
fresh air when possible, & keeping one's nutritional status high.
Masks may be of value when around those w/the flu, such as in a
hospital E R, but only those designed to keep very small particles
out. Dust-protecting gear, for example, won't cut it. Type A flu shots
are adviseable, though I personally have some misgivings about the new
h1n1 vaccine due to relative lack of testing. After the swine flu
debacle of '76, where more people either died or contracted
Guillain-Barré syndrome than actually got the swine flu, I think
proceed w/caution might be the byword here.

HTH. & yall keep well.

Your Friendly inhouse former doctor.

--
Change the world--1 deed at a time