[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Kindle

  • From: "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 05:42:35 -0800

Yes, you can check to make sure the text-to-speech is enabled before buying the book.

-----Original Message----- From: Tracy Carcione
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 10:53 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] OT: Kindle

Very interesting.  Is it clear before one makes a purchase if the speech
flag is on?
Tracy

Greetings Dornetta, perhaps the following will answer many of your
questions:

Amazon Kindle Accessibility
The Tech Doctor is pleased to welcome back Lisa Salinger and Allison
Hartley
the podcast.
Both Allison and Lisa recently purchased the Amazon Kindle Keyboard. This
is
the only model of the Kindle that is accessible to a blind person.
As Lisa and Allison describe their experiences with the Kindle, it becomes
clear that while we all wish that Amazon would do more to make all Kindles
accessible, the Kindle Keyboard is accessible enough to allow a blind
person
to independently operate the Kindle Keyboard to successfully read the
extensive
library of Kindle books that have the text to speech flag enabled.
While we do not have any inside information, we don’t know how long the
Kindle
Keyboard
will be around as it is not a current model. I was unable to find one at
my
local Best Buy but was able to purchase a Kindle Keyboard online directly
from
Amazon.
In 2010, Ricky Enger of Serotek did a comprehensive review of the
accessible
Kindle.
The information is still accurate. Here is a link to the review.
An Accessibility Review of the Amazon Kindle 3
http://serotalk.com/2010/09/28/an-accessibility-review-of-the-amazon-kindle-3/
Another excellent resource is The Kindle Accessibility Blog
http://www.assist-tech.co.uk/kblog.htm
Finally, Accessible World has published two excellent podcasts on using
the
Kindle
Keyboard.
http://accessibleworld.org/sites/default/files/tt06-11-12-jane-sheehan-keyboard-kindle.mp3.mp3
http://accessibleworld.org/sites/default/files/tt10-03-11_the_accessible_kindle.mp3
Thanks to Lisa and Allison for sharing their Kindle experiences. I am
confident that
you will enjoy this podcast.
http://dr-carter.com/podcasts/20121106.mp3