[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: It's always vocabulary time when you scan or proofread!

  • From: Kellie Hartmann <infosifter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:19:15 -0500

Hi Judy and all,
Thanks for sharing! This is an aspect of proofing I also like. I like historical fiction, and have learned some amazing vocabulary from different regions, times, classes, etc. It gives my imagination more scope, and makes it possible to discuss and use precise terms about so many subjects. I've also learned lots of legal vocabulary that way, and I would never have the patience for that otherwise.

Bookishly yours,
Kellie   On 9/3/2012 1:41 AM, Judy s. wrote:
I am getting a book about President Calvin Coolidge ready for the
collection, and ran across a phrase in it that had me totally stumped.
It was "cab shop." When I checked the printed copy of the book, the
phrase is correct. It's not a scanno, but I had no idea what it meant in
the context in which it was used. The sentences around it didn't help
either. The actual words are: the lesser activity of the village was a
cab shop. I worked there some on Saturdays, so I came to know how toys
and baby wagons were made. " That left me puzzled. What do toys and baby
wagons have to do with something called a cab shop?

I finally found out it means! It's a little bit of Vermont regional
language from President Coolidge's time, from before the 1930s. Toy baby
buggies, the little toy strollers a young girl would play with to push
her doll around, were called baby cabs. At that time a business that
made baby buggies was then called a cab shop.

So thanks to volunteering I learned a neat little snippet of Vermont
history and regional vocabulary today. smile.

Judy s.