[bksvol-discuss] OT: Introducing an in-house Summer Volunteer

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 06:58:43 -0700

Bookshare Volunteers,

Introducing another of the productive and adaptable summer volunteers
we are enjoying at the Bookshare offices in Palo Alto: Oliver Tully.

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department

My name is Oliver Tully and I am about to enter my second year of college.
I am interested in pursuing a career in the nonprofit and social justice
fields.

After learning about Bookshare online, I wanted to help the
project in any way that I could because I admired the cause. I have
experience working with people with certain physical and intellectual
disabilities and Bookshare offered another method for assisting them.

Specifically, my duties in the office involve clearing the backlog of
books that we have received but have not yet entered into the collection,
reviewing the metadata on books that are waiting to be approved, writing
book synopses, chopping spines and scanning, and parsing books for their
proofreading difficulty levels.

This is my first time working in a
professional environment (namely, an office), which is a learning
experience in itself. I have learned much more about the process of
proofreading, submissions and OCR scanning. I think I have contributed to
the project by maintaining a positive attitude, a determined work ethic
and a willingness to be as helpful as possible.