[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: IPODs

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:59:00 -0500

Hi, Lora. Have you given some thought to what kind of content you want to use? I'm asking because the IPod isn't the only player that has good features, and it has one very serious drawback in that it forces you to use ITunes. If you like using mp3 files, Audible content, and things like that, you may like the Olympus DS50. It has the added benefit of being able to record things, so you'd have one gadget that does the job of two. The Olympus is great for recording meetings and podcasts, but it also has great sound for playing music and audiobooks. In fact, it's my understanding that it can even speed up the playback of audiobooks if you think the narrator is reading too slowly. The Olympus has talking menus and is fully accessible, including it's bundled software. That's not true of the IPods, even with Rockbox installed because you still have the whole issue of using ITunes under it all. I hope this has helped you a bit. You can visit the Blind Cool Tech website for some nice podcasts that take you on a tour of the Olympus DS50 if you'd find that useful. http://www.blindcooltech.com is the website's address.

Monica Willyard
player.

Lora wrote:
Hi,

I think I finally want an IPOD for Christmas.  Before I put one on my list,
though, does anyone use an IPOD with Rockbox?  I'm just curious what type of
IPOD I should buy, if any?  Will my choice affect how Rockbox works with it?

Thanks in advance.

Feel free to respond to me off list at loravara@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Lora