[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: IPODs

  • From: "Lora" <loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:56:26 -0700

Hi, Monica,

It seems to me that your information is very accurate.  I spent some time on
the Rockbox site yesterday, and confirmed much of what you said.  Rockbox
works with older IPODs, but if I want one of the new ones that can play
video, that doesn't look feasible.

At that point, if I just want a portable MP3 player, I'm leaning toward the
Zen Stone.  First of all, I love the name.  Second of all, the 1 GB player
is only $39.  Like you, I don't appreciate having to pay for things that
sighted people take for granted as coming free with their purchase.  This
isn't to say that Brian shouldn't be compensated for his work; rather, I
just find it frustrating that manufacturers don't take our needs into
consideration.  This isn't to say that every IPOD should talk straight out
of the box, but for those who need it to, it should be a configurable
option, downloadable feature, or whatever.

Thanks for helping me realize that the IPOD may not be the cool toy I'd want
it to be.

I've used my daughters' IPODs without speech, and there is some limited
functionality with it, but for the price, I'm leaning toward the Stone.
Although I have a Pacmate, I don't like it's audio quality.  What I really
want to do is sit on the bus and read Braille books that I've almost
certainly downloaded from Bookshare, and listen to music, and hope someone
warns me that I'm near my stop.  <Grin>

Again, thanks for the info.  It was timely and helpful.

  _____