[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT Guide Dogs

  • From: "Lorana Chanicut" <loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 13:27:23 -0600

Hi Monica,

I would recommend talking with a few schools, or reviewing the survey
previously suggested, to try to find out what they offer, and how each school
is different.

For instance, several people have already thrown in recommendations for Seeing
Eye.  I am fond of Leader Dogs, out of Rochester, Michigan.  Each has a
different approach, and it would be good to find out more about them to figure
out what would be best for your daughter.

Most schools, for instance, have a four week residency requirement.  The
student lives at the school, and spends that four weeks learning how to work
with their new dog guide.

A few schools will come to your own area and train.  Some schools only use
specific breeds.  Some schools don't train their dogs on escalators.  Some
schools don't allow you to own the dog.

Some schools, when the student arrives, take away their cane.  The intent is to
get them to focus on their dog guide's capabilities, but I for one find this an
intolerable approach.

You may want to find a school that will provide support in your community after
your daughter graduates with her new dog guide, just in case problems occur.

It's a lot to think about, I know.

I'd start with the survey.  There are also books that provide reviews of the
various schools out there, but I'll have to search for one, as I'm not sure if
this has been done recently.  The last one I read was published in 2000, I
think.