[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Fwd: Fw: Blind sight

  • From: "mickey" <micka@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:51:13 -0400

I dream more in sounds, Cindy. When I was little and could see more light, sometimes I'd see things like flame, but whatever I saw had to be bright. But I've heard people say something to me, and it's made me wake up. I also dream some in sensation.

Some research has been done regarding sleep of blind people. Some of us move our fingers in REM sleep, as you would your eyes.

Mickey Prahin micka@xxxxxxxxxx MSN: mickeylundgren@xxxxxxxxxxx Phone: (614) 670-4011 Check out Bob's new CD at http://www.boballentrio.com

From: "Louise" <bookscanner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Louise Gourdoux" <bookscanner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fw:  Blind sight
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:05:00 -0500

The Guardian (UK)
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Blind sight

By Sue Blackmore

Restoring vision to the blind sounds like a miracle
- but for the patients
in question, it can seem like a nightmare.

What is it like for the blind to see again? You
might think it would be a
delight, with the previously handicapped person
opening their eyes to a
wondrous world of colour, depth, movement and faces,
and a new and better
life. But that (if you are a normal seeing person)
is probably because you
think of vision as an easy task for the brain -
after all, it seems so easy.

This is far from the truth. In fact, vision takes
vast brain power and a lot
of it is learned, so the newly-sighted have a tough
job on. And the few
previously documented cases are mostly sad stories
of fear, depression, and
even suicide.

This week I was lucky enough to be invited, along
with a small group of
vision scientists, to meet a blind man made to see -
this time by the
wonders of corneal stem cell transplantation. Mike
May, a Californian who
became blind at the age of three, had his sight
restored in one eye over
forty years later. One of the organisers was Richard
Gregory, who did
classic research in the 1960s with patient, SB.

Our questions ranged from dreams and imagination to
how to cope with traffic
and sports, but among the most fascinating things we
learned was how
overwhelming the visual world is for someone who is
not used to it, and how
much sighted people take for granted their ability
to ignore it. For Mike,
looking out of his high up hotel window means seeing
the teeming cars as
full size cars, while knowing that somehow he ought
to see them as smaller.
He described the difference from his previous world
in which he knew the
cars were there but was not bombarded with details
of colour, shape, number,
and direction.

Amazingly, Mike was an expert skier while blind,
following a guide who
called out instructions. He described to us the joy
of seeing mountains
(when he could work out that was what he was seeing)
and the confusion of
skiing with sight. Trees were dark and obviously to
be avoided, but shadows
were dark too, and hence very scary. It made me
reflect on how valuable is
our ability not to be distracted by shadows. Indeed
he finds skiing and
crossing the road more frightening with vision than
he used to do without.

He talked about synaesthesia too. While many people
see numbers or sounds as
having their own colour, for Mike it was Braille
letters that were
coloured - and, as he put it "people thought I was
nuts". Most strange for
him are faces which seem to have so much more detail
than he had expected
from touching them all his life - but whether he
sees and recognises them in
anything like the way normally sighted people do, we
could not tell.

I realised how very difficult it is to ask
meaningful questions and
understand the answers when you are talking to
someone whose experience is
so different from your own - and this is, of course,
what makes Mike so
special. But should I go further? Perhaps I should
not be asking what it's
like for the blind to see, but what it's like for
anyone to see. For
scientists are far from agreement over this, and I
have agonised about the
nature of conscious vision for years.

So look around you now. What is it like to see?

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/sue_blackmore/2006/05/what_is_it_like_fo
r_the_blind.html

Release Date: 5/17/2006