[bksvol-discuss] Re: O.T. Fw: Web Braille

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 23:00:19 -0400

I'm curious about this too. I mean, Georgia has farmed out its Braille program, and my librarian doesn't even seem to know who I should call to order books. She told me a couple of months ago that no one calls to ask about Braille anymore, and she had only vaguely heard of WebBraille when I called to ask about it. She's the director of the library, not a volunteer. I was under the impression that hard copy Braille was being phased out and relegated to a dusty attic somewhere.

The reason I was so crushed about not being able to get digital books till 2010 is that I can't manage hard copy Braille very well. I can't lift over 8 pounds or so, and our post office is a 15 dollar cab drive away. It took 2 months to get signed up with WebBraille, and I'm stunned to hear that they're making a plea to go back to using hard copy Braille books. Hearing that made me feel funny, like they want to step back into the dark ages of big cartons of books and lugging around a heavy backpack. That's not where I want to go at all.

At Thursday 5/11/2006 09:03 PM, you wrote:
Jana, What was her reason? This may shed some light on the problem. I had assumed that the more web braille was used, the less NLS would have to pay for hard copies. I have heard people say that they preferred to curl up with their hard copy book. I found no problem in curling up with my BrailleNote and find hard copy books to be cumbersome not to mention the problems in relation to their curculation.