[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: DragonDictate 5 for Mac

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:37:39 -0600

Valerie, that stinks.

Did you catch Scot Finnie's review on it in Computerworld? He is Computerworld's editor in chief, and uses it. I'm asking because he lays out in the review a way that he figured out to clean out some of the problems causing crashes in Dragon 5 for Mac. The problems his method addresses have to do with problems incurred by how Dragon installs, which he says Nuance, as usual, doesn't explain. But he warns that, even after his fixes, version 5 is pretty buggy, and overall does not work well as well with Word as version 4 did. Ugh. Here's a link to the article; the instructions for how he installed are on page 2:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3004940/desktop-apps/dragon-for-mac-5-despite-bugs-an-upgrade-worth-making.html

Nuance pretty much ate everyone else in the speech recognition world. It's too bad because some real competition from other companies might be a good thing for improving the quality of products and level of customer service available for customers and end users.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 2/15/2016 3:40 AM, Valerie Maples wrote:

Chris;

It is no longer a program but a root directory run software that you cannot force quit if it crashes. The interface is tremendously different and less user friendly and for Doug, it crashes so often he needs to create a new profile weekly. There are also problems with Express Editor with loss of data in transfers. And last but not least, the non-existent support from Nuance. I used to have ins as a beta tester until for whatever reason I was not invited on 5.

Valerie

On Feb 14, 2016, at 7:31 PM, Christopher Zeigler <chrisallen032@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:chrisallen032@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi this is Chris
Why are you not a fan of Dragon to take for Mac version 5?
I was just wondering