[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Chocolate

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:55:17 -0400

There was no coffee until around thirteen hundred or so when it began to be brought back from the East by crusaders and come in along the silk road. It really did not catch on until the early seventeen hundreds. There is a book called The Coffee Trader about its beginnings and the beginnings of the modern stock exchange. I do not believe we have it on bookshare.

The potato is also relatively new. It was brought back from North America (along with yams and squash) by the explorers to feed poor people. It is easier to grow than grain and provides more protein per acre. More protein means fewer people starved in Europe during winters and fewer died at an early age from diseases brought on by malnutrition. Remember folks died of famine in Britain and France in the fifteen hundreds.

There are those who think the industrial revolution was possible because folks lived longer and had better nutrition. And all because of potatoes and one suspects coffee.

E.