[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT Braille Note

  • From: "Jana Jackson" <jana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:52:44 -0600

Hi, Cindy! As a matter of fact, there is a program for upgrading to the newer BrailleNote. As I recall, there's one option where you can send in your unit, and if you agree to keep the original Braille display, your unit will be upgraded... For approximately $3000! A new Braille Note costs about $6000! I've often joked that I think God should let all blind folks be millionaires, just so that we can afford to be productive! <LOL>

To answer your other question, there are organizations that will help to purchase assistive technology. One is a quarterly grant that is given to a blind person to cover 50% of the cost for new technology. If I remember correctly, the retail price for the technology can't be more than $6000, and it can't be lower than $200. Of course, there are others, but that's the only one that comes to mind at the moment, except the vocational rehab service, which will occasionally come through and do something wonderful for someone. While I may not agree with everything about that particular service, they certainly did a lot to help me back in the day. The job I was promised fell through, but I am thankful that I was allowed to keep all of the equipment, some of which I still use... Helped to make me what I am today... The jury's still out as to whether that's a good or bad thing! <LOL> Vocational rehab is only available for college students or folks who are looking for work, as far as I know. If Jamie's friend hasn't checked into it, that may be a good place to start. Take care!

Jana