[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: A blast from the past

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:51:37 -0500

Dear Ron,

I use my Perkins every day, though I have tons of files saved for jaws to read or for me to access in braille on the Braille Note. When the braillists in my city disbanded, I donated many braillers to deserving kids and mailed some away to other deserving people or groups, but kept two to augment the one I'd had since fourth grade. Now I have a brailler in 3 rooms of my house, but I don't feel guilty about it because I use them all regularly, keep them in good repair and know they'll be donated when I've left the world.

I sincerely pray paper braille or print never become totally obsolete, because electronic files are very vulnerable and often when technology is upgraded there are problems transferring them to the new systems.

For example, soon you won't be able to buy VCRs. How many people will take the trouble to copy their VCR collections to DVDs.? Paper, formerly known as parchment has had a centuries long shelf life as compared to the many versions of electronic material we've been through in the past century. I do love and use these electronic wonders, but just worry that I could lose them, my files in particular, in a flash.

Always With Love,

Lissi
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Pugliese" <ronpug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>