[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: A blast from the past

  • From: Charles Wadman <cewadman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:40:19 -0800

Donna,

Donate it to someone who teaches braille. They'll use it as a loaner to a student. My transcribing group has about 20 braillers that we loan to students of braille at the Braille Institute.

They truly are remarkable machines, but about the only use we have for them now is to braille greeting cards - one of our annual tasks at Christmas time.

Charlie

At 08:50 AM 11/21/2005 -0500, you wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for sending yet another OT post, but I have a situation that I thought folks from this list might be able to help with.

Last night my husband was working out in the garage, and stumbled upon the old Perkins Brailler that my parents bought me when I was just starting school. I have to say, these things are truly amazing, and could almost convince one to become a Ludite. They're built like tanks! I've had mine for over thirty-five years, and it still works as well as it did the day I got it! Now i can't think of *anything you could buy today that would last that long. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't really want to trade in my PC or Pacmate and go back to the old days, but I think we really lost something when we traded in durability and longevity for a throw-away culture.

Anyway, my little musings aside, I don't want this thing to just go into a land-fill somewhere, but I'm honestly not sure I'd ever use it again. Does anyone know someone or someplace that might actually have a use for it?
Thanks,
Donna