[bksvol-discuss] OT: 84 Charing Cross

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

I didn't read the book but I did see the movie based
on it. Apparently there was a play based on it, too.

The movie starred Anne Bancroft, JudiDench, and
Anthony Hopkins, among others. My only complaint,
since I fall in love with Anthony Hopkins' character
in every movie--except when he's Hannibal Lecter, of
course-- is that they didn't get together in a
romantic way. I think he was happily married to
someone else. In the book, maybe their relationship
comes across more as the "warm friendship" described
by Leonard Maltin i his movie guide, but in the movie,
maybe because of the charisma of the two main
characters,  or perhaps only my romantic soul, I felt
they should have ended up together,like  In
Shadowlands, the true story of C.S. Lewis meeting and
falling in love with an American poet. They do marry,
as I recall. Happy sigh.

Cindy