[bksvol-discuss] Re: OK, gang, got a weird one!

  • From: Donna Goodin <goodindo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:16:34 -0400

Hi bob,

There's a difference between changing thee and thou to you, versus differently
printied letters to the letter that they actually represent.  In the first
case, you're going from old to modern English.  There are editions of many
older texts--including shakespeare--that are modernized in that way to make for
easier reading for younger students and lay people.  But a scholar would never
use a modernized text in his or her research. In the case of the letter s that
looks like an F, no one, either modern or period would have pronounced the
letter as an f.  No one for example would have said fifter rather than sister.
The issue in this case has to do with how letters were printed, rather than
there actually being a different letter and/or pronunciation.  So to leave the
F as an F would actually misrepresent the text in a way.
Best,
Donna