[bksvol-discuss] Re: OK, gang, got a weird one!

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:58:59 -0700

I don't know about Spanish, but I have some books of early American essays where a double s looked like a sort of stretched out double f (and I think there were some other cases where an individual s would have the stretched out f). I was intrigurd so I went to an online forum on typography and asked about these letters. The folks on the forum said, yes, that is how such things were printed in the U.S. at that time. The same was true for German, but there the double s eventually morphed into the letter that looks like a Greek beta. At least that's what I was told. The real puzzle here, since many bookshare readers use speech, should the text look right, or should it sound right. I don't think there is a perfect answer here (though I like the "if it's good enough for a dissertation...").

Misha

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:
I don't think it was universal. Germanic script, even though using a Roman alphabet, was significantly different. English, even though it was a Germanic language itself, used a Latinate script as a hangover from the Norman conquest. Also, that s instead of an f was not really an s. It looked very similar to an s and I imagine that might have something to do with it being changed, but if you could see it you would be able to tell it from an s. I did not make a habit of looking at antiquated English scripts before I lost my eyesight, so I don't remember about the u and v, but I would suspect that that u was not quite a u either. That could be settled, though, by someone with eyesight just taking a look at it and telling us.

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." Che Guevara The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml <http://wwww.themilitant.com>Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
             _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj: [bksvol-discuss] Re: OK, gang, got a weird one! Date: 7/13/2009 3:50:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time From: kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx Reply-to: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent from the Internet (Details) table end

Hi, gang, Just a comment from Kim here. During the seventeenth century, the word "wave" would be spelled W-A-u-e. I also noticed that in the eighteenth century, the letter S would be written with a letter F. Apparently what happened with old Spanish affected Early modern English as well. H'mm! I wonder if this orthography was universal throughout western Europe? Regards, Kim aka Ellinder.