[bksvol-discuss] OCR standards

  • From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:13:43 -0500

Well, I guess my lesson is that not all page breaks are created equal. This
makes me very upset! Here I was using Word 2007, with the page break tool in
the "ribbon" <choke>, but it appears that they are all section breaks to the
best of my review at this point. I would have had no clue that the two could
have been considered equal until I inserted all grammar markers. The irony
is that a few of them are true page breaks, but most appear to be section
breaks. I cannot for the life of me understand why so many of them would be
section breaks instead of page breaks. I am using ABBYY FineReader 9.0
Professional Edition and as I said, Word 2007. Obviously now that I know to
guessing the best bet is to withdraw my two submissions so that I can rework
them. I will be very upset if there is no easy way to ensure that a page
break really is a page break instead of a section break from the initial
scan, but I can find no preference within ABBYY FineReader to ensure they
come out right upon scanning. I have a hunch that it is probably because of
having the software split a flatbed to page scan, but that is just my hunch.
Like I said, for a perfectionist like me, this is very eerie taping to say
the least. I pride myself on excellent work, even when I am new at. Smiles.

Anyway, if those two books should be pulled, I will be glad to correct those
egregious errors...

My deepest apologies on my learning curve.

Valerie