[bksvol-discuss] O_T screen reader delemna

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gdblounge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 22:45:22 -0400

Hi you all,

I am at a cross roads and need to make a decision.

I have currently Jaws version 9.0 Professional, as I have XP Professional on my
desk top and my netbook.  I use my netbook for internet access.

Anyway, this version of Jaws does not work well with Firefox, nor with IE 8 or
above.

I contacted Freedom Scientific and found it will cost me about $600 to upgrade
to the current version of Jaws.

A lot of money right not, o.k. a lot of money at any time.

I have downloaded the demo of Window Eyes, I like their installment plan idea.

Are there any of you who use WE, System Access or NVDA as your main and
exclusive screen reader, what do you like and don't like about them.

Regarding Bookshare how do these programs handle Bookshare and proofing books
and submitting items to the site.

Are there any things I need to be aware of before I consider which screen
reader I should consider going to, or whether upgrading Jaws might be my best
option, I am wavering, more towards find something new.

How does WE, and SA work with Excel spread sheets, web page design programs
like Dreamweaver and Facebook?

Help guys, smile.

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A. CVRT
and Ludden black Labrador Guide Dog.

Diamonds may be a woman's best friend, but a dog is mine.