[bksvol-discuss] Re: O T humor - spell check this.

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:58:38 -0500

Yes, that is in fact one of the longest words. I am one of those odd ones who uses AIM and instead of away messages saying what I'm doing puts up an assortment of odd useless facts, quotes, or lines of humor. One of the first was in fact about the longest words, gotten from
http://theory.cs.iitm.ernet.in/~arvindn/curious_words/
Here is what is said:

The longest English word: The question of determining the longest English word inevitably boils down to defining what is acceptable as a word, since prefixes/suffixes can be adjoined to words to make longer words and because medical/chemical terms can get arbitrarily long. Further, most contenders for the honor of being the longest word are likely to be very rare in actual usage - so rare, in fact that they could be considered nonce words. The most common candidates for the crown, in my opinion, are

antidisestablishmentarianism (28 letters),
floccinaucinihilipilification (29 letters) and
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (45 letters).

The first is the only one of the three that was not specifically constructed for the purpose of being a very long word. It means opposition to the separation of church and state. The second, meaning the estimation of something as worthless, is the longest non-technical word in the OED. The latter, supposedly a lung disease, appears to be a semi-serious concoction.

Tiffany

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kasondra Payne" <Kassyp36@xxxxxxx>