[bksvol-discuss] Re: O T humor - spell check this.

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:36:55 -0600

One day in an environmental science class we all must have been very board
because the question of the longest English word came up.  Of course
antidisestablishmentarianism was suggested as the longest word.  For some
reason I decided to write that down in my braille 'n speak.  I wasn't sure I
could spell it correctly, though, so I spellchecked it. Oopse!  My braille 'n
speak really did not like that.  It basically had some kind of fit and made a
click hum noise, dumped me in the help file, and deleted and barfed up some
junk in the file I was writing.  At least that is what I think I remember it
doing.  It really was extremely weird and I never experienced anything else
like it in all the time I had that braille 'n speak.  It was the 640 model, but
I have no idea what software revision.  It just proves that either we must be
careful what we spellcheck, or better yet, programers should not think that
they can safely put some limit on the length of word that a person might
spellcheck. <smile>

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity