[bksvol-discuss] Re: O_T White canes and crutches

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:10:13 EDT

Given the behavior of some people who have offered their services as
sighted guide to me I have at times felt like I was using a white cane and
crutches at the same time. I have been tempted to say, "Dammit, my problem is
that
I can't see, not that I can't stand up on my own!"

                                                                  "Can a
nation be free if it oppresses other nations? It cannot." Vladimir Lenin

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: O_T White canes and crutches
Date:
8/15/2009 4:10:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Shelley,

I'm so sorry about your accident.

Have you considered using a walker as opposed to crutches?

Mike broke his foot in 1995 and the doctor was planning to give him
crutches.  I remembered hearing from my mother how easy it is to slip with
crutch; if a crutch lands on a puddle of water, a slippery spot on the
pavement, etc. it will slide and you can easily fall.

After my comments to the doctor, he gave Mike a walker instead; truly a
walker gives you more security.

Lori C.
P.S.  I can't imagine using a white cane with either a walker or with
crutches.