[bksvol-discuss] Re: O_T White canes and crutches

  • From: "Lynn I" <lynnskyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:06:26 -0500

Oh, Shelley!

I'm so sorry ... been there and done that. I broke my ankle in 2003 and I
could not use crutches. I wouldn't take that as any kind of definitive
answer though because I'm also hearing impaired and I suspect that had an
impact on my balance too. I managed with a walker, at first, and a walking
cane after a few weeks.

I could navigate fine at home, and when we went anywhere, I'd take Tony's
arm like I would walking sighted guide, except he had to walk on my left so
I could use the walking cane for balance with my right hand.

One thing that helped me so much is that we had just bought a glider rocker
with a rocking ataman a few months before. I was able to keep my feet up,
and it made things so much more comfortable.

Hope you're pain level isn't too bad. I'll be thinking about you, and good
luck with crutches.

Blessings.

Lynnsky