[bksvol-discuss] Re: November New York Times bestsellers

  • From: "Allison" <bookshare_girl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 12:46:07 -0700

Hi all,

I'll agree to validate the Anne Colter book so Carrie doesn't have to.  I
don't like her either, but I do strongly believe in uncensored access to
books for everyone.  I know Carrie does as well, but why make her do this
one if she doesn't have to?  Her time is valuable, don't make her feel bad
for objecting to one book.

Just as an example as to how I think Bookshare does a fabulous job at
supplying non-standard books is the fact that we have an extensive gay and
lesbian section.  That's an area blind people didn't historically have much
access to.  NLS sure didn't do it, I've checked.  Before Bookshare, people
weren't getting these books, but now there are hundreds in the collection.
Many many people, perhaps even Bookshare staff, object to such material, but it is made available anyway. I think that's admirable. And that is only
one example of how Bookshare provides access to a wide variety of books.

BTW, Carrie, I think you do a great job and I'm thrilled that you will be
paid for your work.

Best,
Allison Hilliker