[bksvol-discuss] Nonfiction submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BookShare" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 17:03:05 -0400

Hi all,

I've just submitted for validation another nonfiction book--

Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System by Raj
Patel

I read as I scan and I've corrected all errors I found. Headers are
stripped; page numbers and chapter titles protected.
There are a lot of non-English words and names to drag down a spell check or
ranked spelling. I've verified most of them.

[From the Back Cover[
HOW CAN STARVING PEOPLE ALSO BE OBESE?
WHY DOES EVERYTHING CONTAIN SOY?
WHAT'S THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PETROCHEMICALS, BIOFUELS, AND THE PRICE OF
FOOD?

IT'S A PERVERSE FACT: There are more people starving in the world than ever
before (800 million) while there are also more people overweight (1
billion).
To find out how we got to this point and what we can do about it, Raj Patel
launched a comprehensive investigation into the global food network. It took
him from the colossal supermarkets of California to India's wrecked paddy-
fields and Africa's bankrupt coffee farms, while along the way he ate
genetically engineered soybeans and dodged flying objects on the
protestor-packed streets of South Korea.

What he found was shocking: from the false choices given us by supermarkets
to a global epidemic of farmer suicides and the real reasons for famine in
Asia and Africa.
Yet he also found great cause for hope- in international social movements
working to create a more democratic, sustainable, and joyful food system.
Going beyond ethical consumerism, Patel explains, from seed to store to
plate, the steps to regain control of the global food economy, stop the
exploitation of both farmers and consumers, and rebalance global sustenance.

Enjoy~!

Deborah