[bksvol-discuss] Nonfiction submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:18:11 -0400

Hi all,

I've just submitted for proofing "The Squandering of America: How the Failure
of Our Politics Undermines Our Prosperity" by Robert Kuttner.

It's been read through and corrected. Headers stripped; chapter titles and page
numbers present and protected; text formatted.
339 pages.

The incomes of most Americans today are static or declining. Tens of millions
of workers are newly vulnerable to layoffs and outsourcing. Health care and
retirement burdens are increasingly being shifted from employers to
individuals. Two-income families find they are working longer hours for lower
wages, with decreased social support. As wealth has become more concentrated,
the economy has become more recklessly speculative, jeopardizing not only the
prospects of ordinary Americans, but the solvency of the entire system. What
links these trends, writes Robert Kuttner in this provocative, engaging, and
necessary book, is the consolidation of political and economic power by a
narrow elite, who blocks the ability of government to restore broad prosperity
to the majority of citizens. Kuttner—one of our most lucid economic
critics—explores the roots of these problems and outlines a persuasive, bold
alternative.

Deborah