[bksvol-discuss] Nonfiction submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BookShare" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:17:59 -0400

Hi all,

Just submitted for validation a nonfiction book, I Don't Believe in Atheists
by Chris Hedges.

I read it as I scanned it and fixed errors along the way. Headers have been
stripped; chapter titles and page numbers protected.
Ranked spelling is almost 100%, with a few foreign phrases I couldn't
verify.

[Back of Book Jacket]
The battle between these new atheists and the religious fundamentalists
engages two bizarre subsets of American culture. One distorts the scientific
theory of evolution, applying it to complex social, economic and political
systems it was never designed to explain. The other insists that the six-
day story of creation in Genesis is fact and Jesus will descend from the sky
to establish the kingdom of God on earth. Neither God nor science, however,
will protect us from the destructive forces within human history and human
nature. We are not progressing morally as a species. We are not headed
toward uplands of sunlight and harmony, toward collective salvation. The
technological advances made by human societies have empowered, in equal
measure, those dedicated to preserving and protecting life, and those
dedicated to violence and industrial slaughter.
The battle underway in the United States is not between religion and
science. It is a battle between two Utopian forms of faith. These
antagonists trade absurdity for absurdity. They show that the danger is not
religion or science. The danger is the fundamentalist mindset itself.

Deborah