[bksvol-discuss] Nonfiction submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BookShare" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:19:58 -0500

Hi all,

Just submitted my first book since the new site went live. Whew!

The book is "Promised Land: Thirteen Books That Changed America" by Jay
Parini.

Usual prevalidation has been done--headers stripped, page numbers and
chapter titles protected. Ranked spelling over 99% with some dialect and
unconventional spellings. Approx. 380 pages.

[Book jacket]
Americans need periodic reminding that they are, to a great extent, people
of the book--or, rather, books. In Promised Land, Jay Parini repossesses
that vibrant intellectual heritage by examining the life and times of
"thirteen books that changed America." Each of the books has been a
watershed, gathering intellectual currents already in motion and marking a
turn in American life and thought. Their influence remains pervasive,
however hidden, and in his essays Parini demonstrates how these books
entered American life and altered how we think and act in the world.

THE THIRTEEN BOOKS THAT CHANGED AMERICA

Of Plymouth Plantation
The Federalist Papers
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
The Journals of Lewis and Clark
Walden
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Souls of Black Folk
The Promised Land
How to Win Friends and Influence People
The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care
On the Road
The Feminine Mystique

Deborah