[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, November 10, 2011

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <scifi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:00:00 -0400

Hello Folks,

We had a good crowd and some great discussion of our books last night, Inferno
and Escape from Hell by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Although the reviews
were decidedly mixed, everyone had something positive to say about them.

Our next meeting will be on Thursday, November 10, 2011.

Place, Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Time, 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, and 6 PM Pacific.

This month, we go back into the future for a new take on the perennial conflict
between old and new. This time between old humanity on Earth and the evolving
inhabitants in the rest of the solar system. We'll be reading The Quiet War by
Paul J. McAuley, available as a digital download from BARD at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.70472

Here's the NLS synopsis:

After Earth is damaged by climate change and the Overturn, many refugees escape
to Mars and the moons of
Jupiter and Saturn. Greater Brazil's powerful families and green saints control
most of the remaining survivors and create innovative warfare technology to
prepare Earth for war with the Outers.

And here's a longer description from Publishers Weekly taken from Amazon's page
for this book:

Starred Review. Shortlisted for this year's [2009] Arthur C. Clarke Award, this
sweeping interplanetary adventure is also a thoughtful examination of human
nature. The few people remaining on feudal 23rd-century Earth are obsessed with
repairing the damaged ecosystem, while the near-anarchic Outers, who fled to
the solar system's outer worlds, would rather probe the atmosphere of Saturn
and grow gardens in vacuum. Earth tries
to rein in the Outers with a campaign of intrigue, assassination and sabotage
that culminates in bloody carnage. McAuley (Cowboy Angels) moves deftly among
five well-drawn characters in the thick of the action: a cloned spy, a hotshot
pilot, a ruthless scientist, a bluntly independent biological engineer and an
unscrupulous diplomat. They all, in different ways, must choose between the
familiar and the new, struggling to reconcile conflicting desires. This
compelling tale opens vast panoramas while confronting believable people with
significant choices.

Sounds like this one will have substantial action as well as being thought
provoking, an excellent combination. So hope lots of you can come and talk
about it with us in November.

Evan