[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, June 12, 2014

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sfclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 13:15:14 -0400

Hello Folks,

We had a good showing at our most recent meeting, with decidedly mixed reviews
of our book, The High Crusade by Poul Anderson. For this month, we take on
another classic, the first book in James White’s famous Sector General series,
Hospital Station.

The next meeting of the Science Fiction club will be on Thursday, June 12, 2014.

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, 6 PM Pacific, and 01:00 UTC.]

Place, Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Our book, Hospital Station, is available as a digital download from BARD. It is
the first novel in the book, Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus
Volume 1. The download link is at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.63073

Here is the NLS annotation for the omnibus:

Contains the first three volumes in the Sector General series written between
1957 and 1971: Hospital Station (a novel originally written as five separate
stories), Star Surgeon (a novel originally written as one novelette and one
novella), and Major Operation (a novel originally written as five novelettes).
Follows young Dr. Conway's adventures as he treats alien patients aboard the
galaxy's largest multienvironment, interplanetary hospital.

And here’s a bit about Hospital Station in particular from Wikipedia:

Hospital Station is a 1962 science fiction book by author James White and is
the first volume in the Sector General series.
The book collects together a series of five short stories previously published
in New Worlds magazine between 1957 and 1960.
Stories
"Medic" – During the construction of Sector 12 General Hospital, construction
worker O'Mara is suspected of negligently causing the death of two alien
workers. Pending an investigation he is restricted to quarters and given the
aliens' child to care for.
"Sector General" – The first story of the main series' narrative. Doctor Conway
has spent two months on the station and is about to be confronted with several
emergencies as well as his first educator tape.
"Trouble with Emily" – Conway is ordered to assist with a project involving a
large dinosaur-like alien.
"Visitor at Large" – A SRTT shape-changing alien runs amok in the hospital.
Conway and a newly arrived Prilicla are enlisted to capture it.
"Out-Patient" – Following the recovery of a badly injured alien from a wrecked
ship, Conway must pursue a radical treatment.

Come join us next month to talk about this classic book.

Evan