[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, January 10, 2013

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SF list" <scifi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:48:41 -0500

Hello Folks,

We had a small turnout at our most recent meeting, likely because of it being
around the holidays, and
our book, Engineering Infinity, edited by Jonathan Strahan, received only
lukewarm reviews from everyone.

Our next meeting will be on Thursday, January 10, 2013.

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, 6 PM Pacific, and 01:00 UTC.
Place, Book Nook at:
This time, we read a tale of a human and an alien who team up to save the Earth
in Neptune Crossing by Jeffrey A. Carver, the first volume of the Chaos
Chronicles.

The book is available from both Bookshare and as a digital download from BARD.

The publisher quality Bookshare version is at:

https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/222974

The BARD version is at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.39793

Here is the NLS synopsis:

Space pilot John Bandicut, part of a mining
expedition on Triton, doesn't know just what made him drive
his rover past the invisible stop line, but something seemed
to be calling him. Landing in a cavern, he is confronted by a
quarx--a member of an alien race that can predict the future.
It seems that Earth is about to collide with a comet, and it
is up to Bandicut to save the planet. Strong language.

Here is the long synopsis from Bookshare:

When survey pilot John Bandicut falls into a cavern on Triton, his life changed
forever ... and for an alien quarx, one hundred million years of solitude
suddenly comes to an end. The quarx, part of an eons-old interstellar
civilization that uses advanced
chaos theory to predict catastrophic events, cannot by itself prevent the
cometary
collision that threatens to devastate the Earth. John Bandicut must help this
strange
disembodied alien, knowing that humanity's very existence rides on the result.
He
has to break all the rules and sacrifice everything he has ever known or loved
prevent a cataclysm that neither he nor any human can possibly detect. Hurling
across
our solar system at incredible speed in a stolen ship, Bandicut can only hope
that
his desperate gamble will save the Earth. Even if he doesn't live to see it
again.

Hope to see lots of new people in the new year to talk about this adventure
tale.

Evan