[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, August 14, 2014

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sfclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 19:25:38 -0400

Hello Folks,

A slightly smaller than normal turnout this month, but most of us enjoyed our
book, The Reefs of Space by Jack Williamson and Frederik Pohl. Our next book is
a tale of an interstellar mission to an alien civilization gone horribly wrong
in The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell.

The next meeting of the Science Fiction club will be on Thursday, August 14,
2014.

Place, Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, 6 PM Pacific, and 01:00 UTC.

Our book, The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell is available from both BARD and
Bookshare.

The BARD version is downloadable from:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.43892

The link to the Publisher Quality Bookshare version is at:

https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/872640

Here is the NLS annotation:

It is the year 2059 when Jesuit priest Emilio
Sandoz returns as the sole survivor of a forty-year space
voyage to Alpha Centauri. Broken in body and spirit, Sandoz
describes his horrific captivity by aliens and life in a
depraved civilization.

And here is Bookshare’s Long Synopsis:

The Sparrow is a novel about a remarkable man, a living saint, a life-long
celibate
and Jesuit priest, who undergoes an experience so harrowing and profound that it
makes him question the existence of God. This experience--the first contact
between
human beings and intelligent extraterrestrial life--begins with a small mistake
and
ends in a horrible catastrophe.

Come and join us next month to talk about what is sure to be a thought
provoking novel.

Evan