[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, April 11, 2013

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SF list" <scifi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 17:34:36 -0400

Hello Folks,

We had a smaller than usual turnout at our latest meeting, however most of us
really liked our book, Nexus by Ramez Naam. For our next book, we venture a bit
farther into the future for some widescreen space opera with David Brin's
classic The Uplift War.

The next meeting of the Science Fiction club will be on Thursday, April 11,
2013.

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, 6 PM Pacific, and 01:00 UTC.

Place, Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e
Our book is available as a Publisher Quality version from Bookshare at:

https://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/424583
and as a digital download from BARD at:
https://nlsbard.loc.gov/download/book/srch/27254/prefix/DB

Here's the BARD synopsis:

Intergalactic warfare threatens when a brutal alien race invades the planet
Garth where human beings and sapient chimps are working to restore the dying
planet.

And here is the long synopsis from Bookshare's version:

Brin's tales are set in a future universe in which no species can reach
sentience without being "uplifted" by a patron race. But the greatest mystery
of all remains unsolved: who uplifted humankind?As galactic armadas clash in
quest of the ancient fleet of the Progenitors, a brutal alien race seizes the
dying planet of Garth. The various uplifted inhabitants of Garth must battle
their overlords or face ultimate extinction. At stake is the existence of
Terran society and Earth, and the fate of the entire Five Galaxies. Sweeping,
brilliantly crafted, inventive and dramatic, The Uplift War is an unforgettable
story of adventure and wonder from one of today's science fiction greats.

Hope you can join us next month for some classic SF from a master of the craft.

Evan