[bksvol-discuss] Newbie looking for advice

  • From: "Devorah Greenstein" <DGreenstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:22:42 -0400

I'm a very new volunteer. I validated two books successfully, studied
the volunteer manual, read the books, etc. and I loved doing it, I am
hooked on this validating thing; but two nights ago I had a weird and
awful experience downloading a book for validating. I lost a book. I,
junior, remedial Bookshare volunteer, have lost an entire book,
misplaced the whole rtf file, it is gone! I have searched all over my
computer and I can't find it.

First of all, it was too late at night for me to be doing anything
purposeful, so I can't really tell you what I did, it seemed right at
the time. Second of all, I just noticed this minute when I tried once
again to find the file, that my Winzip file unzipper that I have been
using in the free evaluation mode, just told me my evaluation period is
up. Did Winzip eat the book because I haven't paid the $29?

I have searched my hard disk by file name and key phrase. I have
searched in Recent Documents. I have searched in Winzip Wizard. Not
anywhere. The first two books I had validated were found by the Winzip
Wizard, but not my third book. I feel distraught, embarrassed, and,
well, I guess the word humiliated is not too strong a word. How could I
have lost a book? Is there any other place on my computer that I can
look that it might be hidden? I can't think so, if the Winzip Wizard
didn't find it.

Do I re-scan this book and submit it? Do the wise people at Bookshare
keep a back-up copy so incompetent people like me don't destroy
submitters' hard work? Fortunately the book is short. It's called An
African Prayer Book by Desmond Tutu. I was really looking forward to
reading it and validating it. I am looking for advice, help, direction.
Should I go to the library and get a copy to re-scan it and submit it
for someone else to validate. Has anyone ever lost an entire book?

Thanks for any advice. Feeling awful in snowy Minneapolis.

Devorah