[bksvol-discuss] Re: Newbie

  • From: Pascha Lea <pascha2u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:07:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome. I'm sorry I haven't responded until now. My mother had
surgery last week so I was away taking care of her.

I've already noticed that sometimes the scans don't seem to have come out
clearly. I was working on a management text book that, unfortunately, lost two
entire chapters to bad scanning. (I ended up rejecting it - I hope that was the
right thing to do). Another book I reviewed seemd to have the last word or two
lopped off the end of some of the scanned pages - I know that is a common error
while scanning.

I wasn't sure how in-depth the validation process should be. When we had a
scanner, I used to scan some books for my husband and for those I would spend
ages making sure that all typos and badly scanned items were fixed.

At the moment, I am definintely doing spell-checks on all validation items. For
cases such as those I mentioned above, I am more than willing to try to find a
hard-copy of the book to fix dropped words/sentences, etc. - but it would more
than likely take me a week to do so. Can you keep books for longer than a week
under such circumstances?

Anyway, I hope to learn loads more from this group! Thanks again for the warm
welcome.

Lea

Kellie Hartmann <hart0421@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Lea, and welcome. It's really nice to have a few sighted volunteers here.
:-) Sometimes books don't scan too well, and it's easiest for a sighted
volunteer to work on those if they can get a print copy of the book.

Another project that sighted volunteers sometimes do if they enjoy it is
writing picture descriptions for the illustrations in children's books.
So welcome, and I hope you can find things to work on that you enjoy
reading.
Kellie