[bksvol-discuss] Re: New volunteer with questions

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 23:59:53 -0500

Hello Jane,

You've come to the right place.  We'll be glad to answer all your questions
since there's quite a bit of info which isn't documented in the volunteering
instructions.  That's why Jake finally created a tips section on his
website, so we can document some of the things which Bookshare hasn't taken
the time to include in the instructions.  As Laura Ann mentioned, the
address for Jake's site is http://www.jbrownell.com/bks/.  Pressing Alt-T
will take you to the link for the Tips.  there's one which is a must read
since it includes Bookshare's guidelines for filling out fields on the
Submission and Validation forms.  Not following these guidelines can cause
your books to be kicked back to the Step 1 page and have to go through the
Validation step all over again, and no one wants that.

As Elizabeth just told you, you don't need to do anything special for
logging in as a volunteer.  If the system has you registered as a volunteer,
then you'll end up on the Volunteer Home page when you log in, and there
will be additional links at the bottom of the page which are labeled Step 1
Download and Step 2 Upload.  If you don't end up on the Volunteer Home page
and don't see these links, then you aren't registered as a volunteer and
will need to contact Bookshare to get registered.

Let us know when you manage to get to the Step 1 page.

HTH

Gerald