[bksvol-discuss] New submission

  • From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger25@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:40:23 -0600

Hi, all.

I have just submitted My Mother's Keeper: a Daughter's Memoir of Growing Up
In the Shadow of Schizophrenia by Tara Elgin Holley with Joe Holley.

This is a clean scan, rating 99.3 rank spelling in Kes. Most of what was
termed as errors were medication names, as well as proper names and slang.

The synopsis is below.

Dawn Elgin was destined to be a 1940s big-band star. From the time she was
fourteen, she took her place at the microphone in Houston's elite Empire
Room
and sang with the voice of a jazz angel. Vibrant and glamorous, she boldly
pursued her love of performing to New Orleans, Hollywood, and New York,
where
she gave birth to her daughter, Tara, when she was twenty-one. Then Dawn
began to suffer persistent visions of a deathly specter at her bedside. She
was
diagnosed with acute paranoid schizophrenia and began a lifetime spent in
and out of institutions. My Mother's Keeper is Tara's deeply moving story of
growing up in the shadow of her mother's tragic illness. As Dawn's state
worsened, Tara lived in the care of her imperious great-great-aunt Elsa -
the
family's elderly matriarch, who drew her into a rich world of old-fashioned
treasures and Houston history - while her mother drifted in and out of
Tara's
life like a fading fairy princess. Though Tara yearned for her mother during
her childhood, Dawn's condition was usually kept from her, the subject of
secretive family discussion and neighborhood gossip. By the time Tara was
seventeen she had become Dawn's guardian, bent on rescuing the shambling
street
person her mother had become and transforming her back into the beautiful,
lively woman she remembered. Above all, it is a deeply moving exploration of
the mother-daughter bond - of how Tara learned to balance her mother's needs
with her own, and how she finally came to terms with Dawn's legacy when she
became a mother herself. Emotionally compelling and powerfully rendered, My
Mother's Keeper offers indelible proof of love's power to transcend a
devastating
illness.

Shannon
We are wise, not because we are women, but because we seek wisdom.