[bksvol-discuss] Re: New request added to Wish List

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:04:00 -0700

Cindy, well, I don't know if this is altogether on topic, but since it
involves book discussions, I think it kind of is--so could u please
describe the painting for those of us who can't see the website?  It
obviously made an impact on u, & it might create interest in the book.
 I realize that is not an easy task, though, & if u feel u can't or
don't wanna or that it's too o/t, I understand.

I just personally want to say that I appreciate your work on this
list, as well as Jamie's.  Most folks blessed w/eyesight aren't
particularly cognisant of the issues facing blind folks so it's nice
to have a couple sighted folks on list who care & want to help.

Blessings to all.

On 10/15/07, Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A member has asked for Christina Olson: Her World
> Beyond the Canvas. The member is physically disabled
> and can't scan. As with a couple of others who have
> contacted me at my other email address, I've asked if
> she'd be interested in validating and told her a
> little bit about it. So far, I think both of the
> people to whom I mentioned that earlier have signed up
> to be volunteers--maybe she will, too.
>
> Wondering what the book was about and who Christina
> Olson was, since I'd never heard of her, I looked up
> both the book and the person. The book is am 84-page
> biography. Those of you who may be more art-aware than
> I, and perhaps even older than I, though I doubt there
> is anyone in that category, may know of an Andrew
> Wyeth painting entitled Christina's World. It was
> mentioned, apparently, briefly in David McCullough's
> Truman biography. There is an interesting web
> site--http://tinyurl.com/cvjrj--that tells about
> Christina's life. No one knows exactly what was wrong
> with her, but there are some suppositions. The
> painting, of which there is a picture on the website,
> is, to me, haunting--heartbreaking-- and I don't think
> I'll forget it, though when you read about Christina
> it's a not that at all.
>
> Cindy
>
> Cindy
>
> Cindy

Jackie McBride
Please sign the Yahoo Accessibility petition at:
<http://www.petitiononline.com/yabvipma/petition.html>
& Check out my homepage at:
www.abletec.serverheaven.net