[bksvol-discuss] Re: New proofreaders

  • From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:10:17 -0500

When I down load a book I see Daisy, and under that Daisy with Images, and BRF.
 What is Daisy with images?  Would that help or not help a beginning sighted
reader?

Sue S.

  From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:36:56 -0700
  To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Hi, Scott!

  Ask them to seriously consider it as an option, if not a standard.  It is a
huge deal for starting sighted readers that Nichole is very eagerly advocating
for.

  Thanks!

  Valerie

  On Jul 20, 2011, at 7:35 PM, Scott Rains wrote:

    Valerie,

    Interesting approach. Let me talk it through with Collection Development
and Engineering. A change like that would require a lot of cross-domain
conversation. But, for now, the answer is "no."

    Scott

    From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:29:43 -0700
    To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Hey, Scott!

    Reading with Nichole and trying to work with Nichole's teacher about
introducing Bookshare to beginning readers, I have a question/proposition.  In
order to place emphasis on readable text in board books and early reader
picture books, books that have no other navigation than title, would it be
acceptable to put book text in bold 16 or 18 pt. and picture descriptions, not
bolded and in 12 pt?  It would help print "pop" for visual readers (dyspexic
and kids with PD) and even allow teaching navigation in a more useful and
functional ways to early readers.  That way a parent reading the book would
have easy access to all information, but a new reader being introduced to
reading would have better presentation of age level text.

    Thoughts?

    Valerie

    On Jul 20, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Scott Rains wrote:

      4)  Use these font sizes:         For the:
                                20 point  +  BOLDING        Book title
                                18 point  +  BOLDING        Larger section
headings  (such as "Part I", or "Section 2")
                                16 point  +  BOLDING        Headings for each
section in the Front Matter, & Back Matter
                                16 point  +  BOLDING        Chapter headings
                                14 point  +  BOLDING        Chapter subheadings
                                12 point                             Text in
the body of the book
                           5)  Maximum font size for anything in the file:
 =  20 point
                                Minimum font size for anything in the file:
   =   8 point
      Scott