[bksvol-discuss] Re: New proofreaders

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:54:01 -0700

Hi, isn't there a way so the picture descriptions can be presented so
what appears in them doesn't occur right bang in the middle of the
paragraph? Couldn't there be a box around it to differentiate it from
the text? As a reader of Braille,I prefer a footnote to mark a
particular word in a paragraph, and after it is done, I'd like to know
to what it refers (preferably after a thought has been completed and not
placed on a line where there appears an incomplete sentence.) I'm going
back to reading cookbooks to give you an example of what I mean with
regard to the book's set up or design. I really hate it when I'm reading
a recipe and I'm in the middle of the ingredients list or the middle of
the instructions for making the dish when what should I encounter but a
table, a chart, a whole slew of picture discriptions to interrupt the
thought process. Couldn't they have the sense to present such stuff
before or after the recipe and not in the middle? Regards, Kim Friedman.

From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:36:56 -0700
To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, Scott!

Ask them to seriously consider it as an option, if not a standard.  It
is a huge deal for starting sighted readers that Nichole is very eagerly
advocating for.

Thanks!

Valerie

On Jul 20, 2011, at 7:35 PM, Scott Rains wrote:

Valerie,

Interesting approach. Let me talk it through with Collection Development
and Engineering. A change like that would require a lot of cross-domain
conversation. But, for now, the answer is "no."

Scott

From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:29:43 -0700
To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hey, Scott!

Reading with Nichole and trying to work with Nichole's teacher about
introducing Bookshare to beginning readers, I have a
question/proposition.  In order to place emphasis on readable text in
board books and early reader picture books, books that have no other
navigation than title, would it be acceptable to put book text in bold
16 or 18 pt. and picture descriptions, not bolded and in 12 pt?  It
would help print "pop" for visual readers (dyspexic and kids with PD)
and even allow teaching navigation in a more useful and functional ways
to early readers.  That way a parent reading the book would have easy
access to all information, but a new reader being introduced to reading
would have better presentation of age level text.

Thoughts?

Valerie

On Jul 20, 2011, at 3:43 PM, Scott Rains wrote:

 4)  Use these font sizes:          For the:
                          20 point  +  BOLDING        Book title
                          18 point  +  BOLDING        Larger section
headings  (such as "Part I", or "Section 2")
                          16 point  +  BOLDING        Headings for each
section in the Front Matter, & Back Matter
                          16 point  +  BOLDING        Chapter headings
                          14 point  +  BOLDING        Chapter
subheadings
                          12 point                             Text in
the body of the book
                     5)  Maximum font size for anything in the file:
=  20 point
                          Minimum font size for anything in the file:
=   8 point
Scott