[bksvol-discuss] Re: New proofreaders

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:16:21 -0500

Hi, Scott!

In talking to multiple people invested in emergent literacy, then, we need to
find a way to consider either not adding picture descriptions on beginning
readers with images instead and a different version for blind kids and parents.
 Otherwise, the books can actually be harmful to assisting kids in developing
literacy.  I am probably not distilling the message properly, but different
reading levels, cognitives levels have different needs and a one size fits all
will actually discourage beginning readers from developing literacy.

I am not saying change everything old, but rather, can we consider a shift to a
more appropriate level for children on newly added books?  Considering so much
funding has come from the DOE, I think literacy for kids, not just literature
access should eventually be considered as we realize the impact and opportunity
we have.

Thank you for your patience with me as I try to help kids learn to love to read
without barriers.

Valerie