[bksvol-discuss] Re: New process for handling captions!

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 16:33:20 -0800

I don't know if the mattter will come up in booksI 'm doing now, but, I've
put the word caption followed by a cooln and then the caption itself all
within the brackets. Do we not put the text of the caption anywhere? as I
recall it often credited teh artist or photographer, and sometimes, if I
can remember correctly from a nonfiction book, the location and date of
the photograph; the caption didn't just say what teh illustration was.
Cindy

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Valerie Maples <vlmaples1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Guess I am lucky; I have always done it that way since I felt if it was in
print, it should not be bracketed. I never knew better. LOL

Valerie

On Nov 3, 2015, at 2:07 PM, Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

We have a slightly new way of handling captions in books now. Rather than
placing the entire thing in square brackets, just place the word “caption”
in square brackets. This is because the caption text comes from the
author/publisher and not from us. If they are in the middle of the text
they can be preceded and followed with three asterisks.
This is similar to image descriptions, but since we are creating these
image descriptions ourselves, the entire thing should be surrounded by
brackets, whereas we are not creating the text of the caption. Let me know
if anyone has questions!