[bksvol-discuss] Re: New Year's Eve

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 20:37:02 -0800 (PST)

That's the kind of quiet New Year's Eve we enjoy.
smile

I can imagine how difficult it is to care for your
parents. Do they both have Alzheimers? And where do
they live, i.e. in their own home where you and your
siblings take turns caring for them?

My dad didn't have Alzheimers, but he had some medical
problems his last few years that made him have to be
cared for. We were fortunate that he had enough money
that we could pay for a very warm, caring family
(actually, it was the young woman that we hired but
her family spelled her--they were all wonderful) to
give him 24-hour care, but we visited him weekly (he
lived in Orange County and we lived in L.A.). The
painful part, that I know you and your family must
feel, is the reversal in roles. It's heartbreaking to
see a strong parent-figure become not that and need to
be cared for. I once was talking to a caregiver of a
woman who probably had Alzheimers, though it wasn't
called that then-she was senile, which may be
different. Anyway, I expressed my pity for her, but
the caregiver pointed out that she was happy. She
didn't know anything was wrong; she was in her second
childhood and it was a happy one. It was her family
that that felt the sadness.

Thank you for your other nice post.

Cindy

--- liz halperin <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After the day caring for my Alzheimer parents, I
> have a lovely evening home
> alone. Instead of joining the (hearing required)
> chat room party, or doing
> any of myriad must-do tasks, I'm going to enjoy my
> final scan of 2007 and
> final scan before guide dog school in just THREE
> WEEKS!!!! (Yes, Shelley and
> Natasha and other GDB grads, back to the Oregon
> campus on Jan 19th!!!!) I
> think tonight's goal is to get the proofing/reading
> done to be able to send
> it for validation. 3 hrs 45 minutes till midnight,
> I'll see how much I can
> do once I get on a roll.  Plus multi-tasking with
> dinner and teas....
>
> Liz in Portland
>
> Liz Halperin
> Portland, OR