[bksvol-discuss] Re: New Volunteer Looking for Help

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:18:12 -0400

Hi Roger and all,

Bob, you did great! I would only add here that in Jaws, depending on if you are or aren't in forms mode, this funny control with the edit field and the browse button will look different to you. If you are in browse mode, you will see two edit boxes. The browse button is the second of these. If you are not in browse mode, the button for browsing shows up as a browse button.

Once you choose the browse button, you are, as Bob says, presented with the standard Open Dialog for Windows. this is the same dialog as in Word or in any number of other standard Windows programs.

The only thing I would change in what Bob said was to simplify matters by dealing with the four controls which are most important here. the first one is the list of folders and files on your computer, and you get to it by shif-tabbing once. this list will show you the last folder from which you uploaded or downloaded anything. If you haven't done that, it's probably sitting in My Documents. That's the standard bin where Windows dumps everything by default. From what you said, you found the file there. So I'm going to assume that you don't need to fiddle around with this list by using your backspace or your enter key.

So, now you have tabbed once putting you back in the Rich Edit field of this dialog. the file name, as Laura and Bob said, should be there. If you do not have file extensions enabled, which I think is the case here, you will not see the RTF extension. <grumbling to oneself> Wish Windows would enable file extensions by default.

OK, so if the filename is there, tab once and you'll be in the files of type combo box. Hopefully it will say RTF. Don't worry, if it doesn't, the file will not upload.

Now, tab a second time to the 'open' button. Press the spacebar here. Yes, you *can* press enter, but the spacebar is safer. Explanations later.

Now you need to tell the computer to get moving and upload the file you so carefully found for it. Tab to the accept button. Press the spacebar.

You should be placed, after about five minutes in this Thank-you page you've been looking for. On this page is a bunch of stuff you need to look through as you scroll down. I use the down-arrow here because I don't want to miss anything and I want to be sure that everything I want to be checked is checked. Finally, you get to another accept button, press the spacebar here, it's a button.

that should do it. If nobody else has offered before me, I can help via the phone if you like. Just write me privately.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring