[bksvol-discuss] Re: New Volunteer Looking for Help

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 00:46:51 EDT

Okay, I am using JAWS 9.0 with Windows XP. Now, talk about having a memory
problem! I went back to the upload page and had a definite problem remembering
all that you said, but I think I made progress. This time I clicked the
browse  button and the first thing that came up was a field asking me for a
file
name,  so I typed in Black_And_White_f1. I then clicked the open button and I
was taken  back to the upload page. This time there was something filled into
the path  field. I am going to try to repeat it for you here by toggling back
and forth.  It is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Black_And_White_f1. I
then clicked  the accept button again and got an error message telling me that
the extension  of the file I selected is not valid for the format selected.
That implies  to me that all I need to do is type a few extra characters onto
that and  I should have it. Let me know if you can make any sense out of what I
have  just told you. By the way, in case you have not figured it out I am a
near  computer illiterate. Everything I know about the Internet or computers  I
learned by sitting down at the keyboard in complete ignorance and taught
myself. That means that, despite the many long hours of frustration and
suspicion that I had just wasted my money by even buying a computer, there is
one
hell of a lot about using a computer that I do not have a clue about. In  fact,
am sure that there are one hell of a lot of things that can be done with  a
computer and that most of you probably do regularly that I do not even have a
clue that it can be done. Now I am going to reread your complex message again
and see if I can absorb something else from it.  In a message dated
7/18/2008 8:56:13 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi Roger and welcome to the list.
Okay, please give us more information when you tell us about a problem.  You
said you were using jaws, which version? It could make a difference. It  might
help if we knew what operating system you are using, windows/xp, vista,  95,
98...

The field you are trying to fill in probably causes more problems for  more
people.

But, once you get used to it, you will breeze through this part of the
upload process.

Before you can tell bookshare to accept a book you need to tell it where  the
book is on your system. In the description which follows, I may not have  all
the fields and buttons named correctly. I am going from memory, and memory
is not my best asset.

We'll use as an example a book  I uploaded yesterday. The book is  titled
"magic for beginners". But, I wound up with several versions of this  book on
my
computer, so I had to tell the bookshare computer exactly which one  I wanted
to upload.

It turns out that the book I wanted to upload is called "C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Kurzweil Educational Systems\in
progress\BSO_Magic_for_Beginners_f1.rtf".

If I tried to type that I'd never get a good upload. I'm not that good a
typist.

Before the "accept" button, there are two fields. The first is an edit  field
where the brave at heart can type the complete path to where their book  is.
If you do type the name in this field then skip the next field which is a
"browse" button.

However, most of us, I suspect, prefer to let our computers tell  bookshare's
computer where the book is, so we hit the browse button. This  opens up
another window which is the same kind of dialog you use when you  open a file.
It has a file-name, a file-type, an open button, a cancel button, and,
finally, the fields that let you find the folder containing the book.

In the first "look in" field, I would first search for the c drive.   When
this is highlighted, I would tab to the next field (I forget what it is
exactly
called), but it's another "look in" field. Depending on which  operating
system you use, you may have two buttons between these fields. If  so, just
ignore
them.
In the second field your up and down arros will tell you which folders  you
are looking at. In my case, I want to go to the "documents and settings"  and
hit enter. This will bring up a list of all the files in "documents and
settings". I am looking for the "administrator" folder. I find it and hit
enter on
it. Then I'm looking for the "my documents" folder, and so on and so  on,
until I go to the last folder needed, which is the "in progress" folder. I  hit
enter on that name, and arrow down to the "BSO_Magic_for_Beginners_f1.rtf"
file. If I tab once it should take me to the file-name field which is filled
in
with the "BSO_Magic_for_Beginners_f1.rtf".

So, I tab over to the open button and hit enter. This makes the screen go
away and takes you back to where you were originally. However, that edit field
where only the true-in-spirit dare type a file-name is now filled in with your
 file name, complete with all the preceeding folders etc.

So, skip down to the "accept" button and hit enter.

Give the two computers about five minutes to converse. As the manual says
you should get a thank you screen. Check out the various fields and make sure
the correct fields and checkboxes are correct.

Then hit the "accept" button once more and your book will be set for
administrator approval.

Sorry about the long description, but I simply tried to tell you what I
would have wanted to know when I started out.

If you have further questions, let us know.

Bob