[bksvol-discuss] New Tolkien Treat Approved

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:43:39 -0500

Dear Volunteers,

The Master of the Rings, by Susan Ang became the 11th book I've validated to be
approved. The last book I uploaded re Tolkien was a collection of essays
reflecting on his work. This book is a quick read, about 150 pages, summarizing
and discussing Tolkien's life and the high points of the Hobbit and The Lord of
the Rings. At the end are wonderful appendices with brief descriptions of
characters, things and places in Middle Earth.

I've said this before, but if any of you read a book I've validated and notice
something I could do to improve your reading experience, please contact me off
list. I have a system, now, but don't know if it needs adjusting.

Thank you, Carrie, for scanning this book for me. I loved reading it. It was
one of those books I owned in print and couldn't read.

Synopsis follows my signature.

Always with love,

Lissi

This is a concise, clear, explanation of a wealth of background information and
the content of, "The Hobbit," and " The Lord of the Rings." It contains a
biography of Tolkien's life detailing both his actions and the development of
his concept of Middle-earth. Susan Ang chronicles the publication, popularity,
criticism, analysis and influence of these books. chapters dedicated to the
history, things, people and places of Middle-earth form a concise reference. A
bibliography informs the reader of a wealth of additional material by and about
Tolkien. The index enables the reader to quickly track down meanings, facts and
trivia. "The Master of the Rings," inside the world of J. R. R. Tolkien is a
good place to start for those beginning the journey to a more in depth
acquaintance with Tolkien's gripping, beautiful and unforgettable  telling of
an evil ring, from its making to its destruction.