[bksvol-discuss] New Submission by Barbara

  • From: Barbara <barbarab65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Book Share <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 04:04:59 -0800 (PST)

I just submitted A Driven Leaf by Milton Steinberg. The book was originally in
the collection but was taken out because part 2 of the book was missing.  I did
not read the entire novel and do not know if some of the words on the pages
were cut off because of scanning errors. I rescanned the pages that seemed
incomplete and I rescanned all of Part 2 of the book. I spell checked the file
and the majority of the flagged words were names. I checked some but not all of
the names against the print copy of the book. I numbered all the pages

  Below is the synopsis of the book:

  As A Driven Leaf is a historical novel about the ancient sage Elisha ben
Abuah who lives in the late part of the first century C.E. He is a prominent
scholar in Palestine who is elected to the Sanhedrin. There are two tragedies
that cause Elisha to doubt God and this doubt erodes his faith. He is declared
as a heretic and is excommunicated from the Jewish community of his day.
Because of his excommunication, he travels to other lands and explores Greek
and Roman culture and thought in his search for absolute truth. He is caught
between two worlds and is forced by the Roman authorities to choose between
being loyal to his Jewish people who are rebelling against the Roman emperor?s
domination and his desire to become part of the Roman culture in order to find
ultimate truth. In short, the book is about Elisha ben Abuah?s struggle with
his Jewish identity, with his place in his world, and with his beliefs.

Barbara