[bksvol-discuss] Re: New Guy would appreciate your thoughts ...

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:15:17 -0400

Unless you have scanned the book, it will be rejected if you try to submit it. So if you submit, for example, books you purchased on cdrom, they will not be allowed on bookshare. Sorry. Just letting you know.

E.
At 02:09 PM 10/2/2006, you wrote:

Hi Grandma Cindy (and others), thanks!

Altho' I've been working with computers since '69 (even-then-obsolete Air Force pre-Star-War computer, filled an air-conditioned room), I've not the experience that you folks have with high-end scanners.

(Nor have I gone in the direction, the paths, that you folks have taken ... when I signed-on for BookShare, I skimmed over the three-page "agree with each page" information provided: it was small print, and, well, LOTS of people want me to read "the small print". I'm not interested in "small print". I don't read "small print". *I now see* that you folks work with copies that you've scanned in the "***here&now***" ... [clearly, ladies, most lengthy text "has been scanned" at SOME point ...])

I've owned/used several - all of them "single page" - and all of them with only the supplied software (one of them DOS-based, from Europe, never did work very well).

AND my current scanner's several thousand miles away, just now. Well, actually it's my fathers - and it's a Lexmark, if that matters. It OCR's a single page at a time (factory-supplied software) ... in any event, it's a long ways away from me, right now ...

I'd brought with me, from my "home base" in Nebraska - I'm traveling in/traveled to China - my collection of books. Books that I've scanned/downloaded/obtained thru' CDROM's (public domain, these). Quite a few titles ... and quite a few of'em titles that don't appear on BookShare's shelves.

AND I FIGURED that those less-sighted than I just might appreciate being able to read'em ...

'Course, I've made a deliberate attempt to remove all pagenumbers - I'm describing novels, shorties, plays and poetry here - from the text. And why not?

AND such trivia "takes up room". I run a DOS system, mostly - I've only had this XP system for a few weeks, 'till then, my "hottest" computer was a 233 MMX. BUT UNDER DOS, one tries to save HD room, when one can. There's not much "fluff", in DOS.

*My impression is* (from reading the comments of you three ladies) that I'll not be able to work with you.

Sorry, but I don't want to purchase a scanner here ... the OS required would need to be in Chinese ('cause the available OCR software would be in Mandrin). AND, there's few books in English, here (smile).

AS FOR VALIDATION, well, altho' I'm not quite sure, now, just what that entails - I'd previously thought that it only meant "checking the (C)opyright - but I'd clearly not be able to "check a source copy of this or that material from the library". How could I "validate"?

***I'll await comments from John Glass, of BookShare. It might be that BookShare's opinion is that, really, "fair" text & author's name & (C)opyright information is all that they really want.*** I'd sent a copy of my first email to him ... I'll await his answer, and then I'll decide whether or no I can continue with BookShare/BookShare's Volunteers.

IF NO - and this appears likely - then that's OK. Altho' I'd know of BookShare FOR YEARS, then time then "wasn't right", and, as now seems likely, if it's "not right now either", well, I'm used to that.

Pity.

I'll await comment from John.

Thanks for your time, your thoughts, ladies ...

Mark.

Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mark,

Your efforts as a volunteer would be much appreicated.

I'm assming, since you're talking about submitting,
that you intend to scan books. If you scan and save in
rtf, the page breaks should occur naturally, and the
page numbers should be retained if you press down on
the book at the binding and make sure that the scan of
the page includes the line with the page numbers. And
you don't have to worry about lines for title, author,
copyright etc as long as you scan the copyright and
title pages.

After you scan and before you submit, you should go
through the book and be sure all the pages are there.
You can do this by using the page down key. It's too
easy, I've found,to lose one's attention when scanning
and either skip a page--perhaps two pages stuck
together, or we thought we'd done that page--or, on
the other hand, to re-scanpages we've already scanned.

Also, before submitting, it's helpful if you can get
rid of garbage that shows up along the outside margin
of the book if it isn't held down firmly enough.

The other things the validator will take care of.

Grandma Cindy

Want to be your own boss? Learn how on <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=41244/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>Yahoo! Small Business.