[bksvol-discuss] Re: Need blind help on a Microsoft word oddity

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 14:02:39 -0600

It's going to reset the document to whatever your own normal template inside of is set up to be, so what it does to the document will depend on how your normal template is set up in word I think. I'm not sure it would eliminate the borders if the person has a normal template that turns three asterisks followed by a paragraph mark into this kind of line in the first place. It might just do it all over again. I'm guessing here. smile.

Judy

On 2/6/2014 10:10 AM, Martha Rafter wrote:
I haven't read all of the replies yet, so if I repeat, sorry. Would getting rid of all styles work? Like do a highlight all with control A, then Shift, Control and N? HTH!
Marty

-----Original Message----- From: Judy s.
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 6:29 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Need blind help on a Microsoft word oddity

Hi Madeleine,

Yup, that's how the problem can occur -- but you can't necessarily
highlight the line and select "normal" to get rid of it.  That only
works if you can find the paragraph that the formatting is associated
with and if it is the only such paragraph border in the text at that
point and if your "normal" template is set up a certain way and if there
aren't any paragraph format borders layered one on top of another. All
those have to be true at once, plus unless someone who's blind has found
a way to do this you must be able to actually see the line because there
aren't any codes a screen reader can find to tell you where it is, or at
least I can't find any codes so far that a screen reader would find.

So it's pretty complex. Here's some detail:

It is a special type of graphics format border attached to a paragraph,
but it isn't even necessarily attached to the paragraph where it
appears.  And sometimes there are multiple instances of these graphic
borders layered one on top of the other, and you can't tell until you
find the first one and remove it.  When that's the case, you discover it
when you find the first one and remove it because another one pops up
somewhere else in the document, and you have to find that one and remove
it until you find all of them. That was the case in this book.  It was
like pulling rabbits out of a magician's hat!  For every rabbit I pulled
out, another one magically appeared.  I had to find the paragraph that
had the formatted graphic border, which wasn't necessarily anywhere near
where the set of black boxes appeared in the book, and then go into the
graphics formatting for that paragraph and manually remove the graphics
border for that paragraph and then visually search through the entire
document to see where a new one had popped up and do that. Sort of a
wash, rinse, repeat until clean cycle. smile

From what I can tell the whole thing is totally inaccessible. It's all
based on sight.  There are no clues in Word that I could find except
visual cues as to where any of this formatting occurs in a document. I
hope I'm wrong, and someone with a screen reader can help out.

The fix that I came up with works across all versions of Word and
removes all instances at once of a paragraph border, once you know that
there is a paragraph border somewhere inside a document. You do that by
selecting the entire document with a control-a then using the paragraph
formatting section of Word that deals with borders. In Word 2010 it is
in the home tab, within the paragraph section.  You click on the border
icon and select the "no border" option. Then you save the document.

Judy
On 2/5/2014 4:38 PM, Madeleine Linares wrote:
Hi Judy,

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, it is something that certain versions of Microsoft Word does automatically when you type three asterisks in a row and press enter to create a new paragraph. I believe to remove it you just highlight the line and select "normal" under the styles section. This also may only happen in certain version of Word. For some reason I thought that someone was able to discover/recognize it using a screen reader but I don't remember who that was. Please let me know if this makes sense and works as a fix and if not I can work with you offlist. If anyone else figures out how to show this thing with a screen reader please let me know! I can also ask some of our staff.

Best,

Madeleine Linares
Volunteer Coordinator
Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative